27.4.10


city vs. country
Hil & Em
twelve
eleven
three
twenty
twenty six
thirteen

fourteen


twenty five


Putting together bits and pieces of what I hope to be a decent portfolio.

Portfolio building is a phrase very well known to any art student, but when it comes down to it I'm really just another lost amateur with a stack of photos and nothing to accompany them with.

If I was to conjure up a statement about what I think of photography, or pictures that I have taken, or whatever you'd call it, this would be it.

I love faces, and people, but with that comes the fear of not doing them justice. If I'm taking a portrait, I want the whole person, not some fake version. I want to focus on what is real and beautiful and natural. I'll have my experiments in a studio (a nice, ghetto set up in the garage) but I'd rather go on a hike any day.

On another note, I will always be portfolio building, photography is constantly growing and updating and I'm merely along for the ride. However as of this summer I'm going to be officially opening up for business. For a low, reasonable price (well, I think so, I) I'll be taking portraits.

I am really excited to jump start an actual business. I don't want to bombard people with this, because I know it's a weird shift from let's just go on a fun photo day to oh, well now she's asking for money. Therefore I want to make it a nice, clean shift. Now that I am getting an apartment and have more and more responsibilities that unfortunately require money, I simply have to start charging. I promise to still remain reasonable and negotiable, though. I've always been iffy about prices in the past, but I'll be making a set price sheet for portraits, couples, families, etc. for those interested.

5 comments:

becca April 28, 2010 at 9:18 AM  

I found your blog via flickr and just have to say i *love* your style and definitely think you capture people. The second picture (b&w, girl laying in the grass) has so much emotion in it that it feels like you captured her soul. I would love to know the post processing you used on the 1st & 4th pics. Stunning work!!! Congrats on taking the leap to "professional" (which most people think means getting paid to do it)... you already have a professional skill.

Gyan Gurung April 30, 2010 at 2:09 PM  

where have you been hiding these super amazing pictures till now! (or maybe im a bad follower? :S ) i really love all of them not even exaggerating i love how all of them are so real, and have emotions and its almost like story telling like fragments of someone's memories of a life lived a long time ago

ps: i am also building a portfolio atm! i mean actually getting the pictures i've taken so far together and having a look at yours has motivated me so much more to work even harder! today has been such a good day for getting a good dose of inspirations! thank you :)

Unknown May 1, 2010 at 12:52 PM  

Amazing...You have a very unique style that captures the essence of the people you photograph. I really enjoy your work :)

See you soon.

Matt

Shukura Li June 25, 2010 at 4:59 PM  

i totally understad this

"don't want to bombard people with this, because I know it's a weird shift from let's just go on a fun photo day to oh, well now she's asking for money"


but you'll get use to it in the end in fact you wont work unless it paid..dont forgot your worth


and yeah portfoilio building is crucial!!

rahosa August 2, 2010 at 10:21 PM  

I don't know you well, and you don't know me very well, but I just wanted to say that you're probably the only person whose pictures have actually impressed me. I don't know much about photography. I've never been formally trained, but I would like to think that I know how to spot good photos, and an eye for a talented artist. You really do have a talent with photography and I hope that you go great places with your career or whatever you wish to do with your skills. Just don't stop taking pictures.